Friday, May 30, 2008

People in the South

I often say, "It might say NORTH Carolina, but baby, we're in the SOUTH"

What is it w/ people in the South & religion!?

I work every Sunday & I pretty much always have. A number of our employees want off to attend church, be w/ family, or sleep through their hangover, whatever, I don't care. I work Sundays unless I'm out of town, the end.

Every single Sunday since I moved here some customer or another has asked me why I'm not in church. Some in a polite, "hey do you ever get a Sunday off to enjoy church w/ your fam?" type way, others in a "WHY ARE YOU NOT IN CHURCH?" type way. (And trust me, I've had a couple Jews ask me why I'm at work on Saturday, Yom Kippur, Passover, etc.)

Um, I'm sorry, but why is this your fucking business?

Recently I was politely chatting w/ a customer & asked if she was on her way to church, (just making conversation), when she said yes I wondered if she was a member of the local Assembly of God (which is right around the corner from my store & MANY of their parishioners & pastors come by). She was & asked me if I'd ever been there. I told her no & when she pressed further I simply mentioned that I always work on Sundays. She pushed further (come on Wednesdays!) & I finally told her that I'm Jewish. She was startled & then asked me what I thought of Jesus.

Um, once again, I'm sorry, but why is this your fucking business?

I told her I thought he was a pretty kick ass guy, but not the son of God and not the "Messiah" & that I was at WORK and this topic of conversation was inappropriate for the setting.

Wow.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE a good debate, but seriously...dude! I'm at work! Could you realize that polite conversation does not equal preaching...oh, and by the way,
how the fuck would you like your coffee?

No comments: