Sunday, August 31, 2008

Where to go?

As I'm sure everyone who reads this blog knows, my birthday is in just about a month (Oktober 1st for those who have to pretend they knew). I'm trying to plan a little getaway for Frank and myself. Any suggestions? During the week, 3 nights/4 days, we'd like to spend $1500 or so on everything.

I could get a great deal on an all inclusive resort in the Bahamas, but we're not typically beach dwellers. The idea of lounging in a chair, in the shade, on the beach w/ an umbrella drink is pretty appealing though. However, it's difficult for me to justify spending $1500 or so for 3 days of gluttony and sloth. I could do that here.

I'm seriously considering either Chicago, New York, or Boston. There would be a lot to do and see + great food and fun bars in every city. If I go this route, I'll probably book whichever I can get the best deal on. Anyone think one is WAY better than the other for some reason?

I'd also really love to go to Maine. I have had a love of Maine and a desire to go there for as long as I can remember. It'll be so beautiful in the fall too. I need to figure out what all there is to do there besides eat lobster and drool over the scenic beauty.

I love vacation. Aside from me going home this winter (F will probably stay in NC), this may well be the last vacay before next year. We're planning a big trip to Europe for our 5 year anniversary next spring, so we'll be socking money away for that. So, we've gotta make it worthwhile.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

I would do Boston. I bet it will be gorgeous that time of year and we are history buffs so we'd get a lot out of going up there.

Jamie McQ said...

I'm going to ME mid Sept, so I can help w/ specifics after that if you go that route! If it helps, we found flights to Portland ME for $199, and a great deal on a car rental... we're so excited!!!

But any of the cities you suggested sound like a killer time too! NYC was totally awesome last month :)

Melissa said...

I vote for Maine. Of course I would move to Maine. No notice, no movers, no nothing. Pack up the kids and the pets, turn the key in the front door, throw it over my shoulder and hit the highway. And drooling over lobster and the scenery is my favorite. Oh, and hiking The Beehive trail in Acadia (if you're not afraid of heights) and catching sunrise (or sunset for that matter, either one) from Cadillac Mountain. Oh, and playing bocce at some bar in Bar Harbor while drinking local microbrews. Yep, I gotta get back there, too. Stat! Wherever you decide to go, have a great trip!