Wednesday, August 6, 2008

It's All About Me

I feel like I haven't posted much lately about me - you know, what I've been reading, what I've been doing, how I've been feeling, etc.

Books:

For book club, I re-read The Red Tent (well, almost, I'll finish it today). I remember liking it the first time, but I'm enjoying more the second time. It's not something I would've picked up on my own, so I'm glad it was recommended to me.
Diablo Cody, the woman who wrote the screenplay, Juno, is the author of another book I read this week. Candy Girl is her story about the year she spent as a stripper. It was funny and insightful and a little disgusting. An easy read that I would recommend.
Shoot the Moon was recommended by a couple girls on The Nest Book Club. Totally random, never heard of the book or the author. I thought it was great. Interesting story, compelling characters, good stuff. Also a pretty easy read, but certainly an enjoyable one.
Next up is another Diana Gabaldon book, that'll take me a little while since they're always huge. In fact, the 3 books left in my library pile right now are all gigantic!
Oh and, I think I'm gonna rate all the books on my list (to the right) from 1-10, 1 being a complete waste of paper, ink and energy - 10 being so fucking brilliant I am incapable of speech.

Work:

I start a new job tomorrow. Eek! I'm a little nervous. Don't worry, of course I'll still be at Sbux. I can never leave the call of the Siren, also known as my awesome health insurance. :-) Anyhow, since I'm super aggravated w/ the Bux lately and dying for a little change, I decided to go back to an old standby - serving. Something I'm good at and enjoy that also pays well (usually). I'll be waiting tables (and bartending in the fall) at a little family owned Italian joint near my house. It's called Amedeo's. You can read the story and check out the menu at amedeosnorth.com and starting next week you can come visit me at work and leave me a good tip! I'll keep you posted on how it goes - I've got training Thurs, Fri and Sun nights this week.

As for Frank's work: a lot of you know that his contract is up (after 3 years) in November. We have talked a lot about moving on. Looking for a position for him somewhere else and heading out of NC. Our top pick (stateside) being Portland, OR. Sadly, the economy is rather sucky right now, so we don't want to make any rash decisions + there's a ton of IT work here in the Triangle. Also, AT&T (where F is contracted) has said that they plan on offering him a permanent position, which we've agreed he'll take. I say, we'll see if this actually happens, but we're hoping it does. Going perm has it's benefits and it's faults. It will be less money, but more stable and long term. He'll actually get paid vacation! Wo-hoo! The best part is that after kicking ass and taking names for awhile (about a year) he gets the option of going VO(virtual office) and working from home. That home can be wherever we want it, which means we could move anywhere and he'd still have the same job. That would rock. So, keep your fingers crossed for him/us.

My World:

I've been having major self esteem issues lately, which just isn't like me. *sigh* I'm a little depressed, very anxious, socially uncomfortable. Blech. Not to mention, I'm feeling discouraged and obese. I feel healthier since I quit smoking and I thankfully haven't gained any weight, but I haven't lost any either. I'm eating better and staying active, but it's just not enough. I feel like I'm hungry all the time, which makes me fucking crazy and my exercise level needs to be kicked up a notch. With my work schedule and this heat I feel totally unmotivated. I know instead of whining I need to STFU and do something about it. Blech. I did walk/jog 2 miles yesterday and do some situps and some yoga. As soon as I'm done blogging I'm gonna do 30 minutes of Wii Fit aerobics and some yoga.
I've been kind of a crappy wife lately and that's just no good. I know I've been a nag and kind of whiny. I also haven't been keeping up with the house the last week or two, which isn't holding up my end of the bargain. Bah. So after my workout, it's time to clean. Really, not a fun day off at all, but since F picked up some overtime today it's really only fair that I do my share, right? Ugh. You know, being married isn't always all it's cracked up to be.
On the bright side, I'm heading to Pittsburgh in 2 weeks to visit friends and meet their new babies! I'm super excited about that. It'll be so nice to have time with the girls and get my baby fix. And to be in the 'Burgh. Ahhhhh, I love Pittsburgh. We would move back there in an instant. Maybe after Frank gets VO.

That's all for now. I've got another blog to write, so you can see my life isn't totally dull and boring all the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the fact that you rated the books...though I have to disagree with your rating on "When You Are Engulfed In Flames." It definitely needs at least a 9.