
(Click links for summaries of these books)
I recently finished Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult. I've read just about everything she's written and even the ones I don't love are easy, interesting enjoyable reads. I liked this one because there's a bunch of interesting history of religion in it. I didn't like that I saw the twist (she always seems to have one) way in advance. I'd recommend it, but I wouldn't put it on the greatest books of all time list or anything.
After that I picked up In the Time of Butterflies by Julia Alvarez,

which I really didn't think I was going to find that great,
but it gradually hooked me in. It's told from the perspective of all 4
sisters, which I like, but I did occasionally get a bit lost. Anyhow, it's a fictional novel that was inspired by fact about a family during the Dominican Republic's political drama in the 50's & 60's. I thought it was enjoyable and very interesting...I didn't even know there was a political uprising or anything like that in the DR. Always nice to read a book you like and learn something new.
Last night I started Midwives by Chris Bohjalian and I'm loving it. I laid down in bed w/ it with the intention of starting it before sleeping and I wound up reading 1/2 of it and staying up way too late! It actually
makes me uncomfortable in some parts because of some graphic
descriptions the author gives during home births. I think that's crazy -

I mean, I probably know more about pregnancy and birth than any other woman who has no kids and isn't in the field, but sometimes this books unnerves me a bit - of course, I think I respect it for doing that. I like when things challenge me, push the envelope of my own insecurities and the status quo. I hope I enjoy the rest of the book as much as I have Part 1.
No comments:
Post a Comment