I feel like I need to get this post done, even though I'm totally unmotivated to write it.
Iceland was great. It was different than anywhere else I've ever been and also not exactly what I expected. Also, it was a different kind of trip than I'm used to. I generally might do one tour in a week, but otherwise seek things out on my own. Of course, unless you rent a car there's no real way to do that in Iceland & we didn't rent a car, so there were many tours involved. this sin't a bad thing, just different from my norm.
Downtown Reykjavik didn't seem to offer a whole lot, though admittedly we didn't spend too much time there. We wandered around a bit on our first day & last evening, but that was pretty much it. Apparently it's a pretty happening place on the weekends when all the Icelanders are out partying. If I were to go back, I'd like to go over a weekend and in the summer, just for comparison sake.
So, where to begin...my friend Tony & I met up at the airport in Seattle where we caught an overnight flight direct from SeaTac to Reykjavik. Iceland is on Greenwich Mean Time, which is currently 7 hours ahead of me in Pacific Time. So, we left about 5pm Pacific & landed about 7am GMT.
Once we got our bags & figured out which bus to get on it was about an hour till we arrived at our hotel. Thankfully we were able to check in right away. And we had a beautiful view! So we relaxed, showered, etc., then caught the hotel shuttle into downtown where was deliriously wandered around & grabbed some breakfast.
One thing I was both curious and worried about was the food. I knew everything was gonna be expensive, I just hoped it wasn't going to all be super unusual. I'm generally up for trying new things & food is usually a huge part of travel for me, but gelatinous food & things like putrefied shark are not my cup of tea at all. Anyhow, I had a really great ham & cheese omelet that was more like a frittata for breakfast that first day. :-)
Reykjavik itself was a bit of a disappointment. There were a few cool buildings, but overall the architecture left something to be desired. Lots of rectangular, grey stucco apartment buildings and such. Sort of a cold war era gloominess to it all. There was a lot of litter and tons of graffiti. Some very cool graffiti murals, but also lots of random tagging. So totally not what I had envisioned at all.
There were some cool statues, a beautiful lake filled w/ ducks & swans, an awesome modern performing arts theatre and a beautiful massive church too. So, it wasn't like it was awful, just unexpected.
After walking around for 4-5 hours, getting a bit lost, then finally getting on the right bus, we went back to the hotel for much needed naps. That night we went to a little pizza place near the hotel for dinner. Now, I know pizza isn't what comes to mind when you think about Iceland, but I must say, it was damn good.
That's it for now. I'll write more later & get into the good stuff - glacier hiking, hot springs, waterfalls, horseback riding, etc.
My ramblings about life, travel, books, infertility, food, the Steelers, marriage & whatever else comes along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
- American
- Amsterdam
- Asheville
- Birthday
- bitterness
- Books
- Booze
- Cali.
- Changes
- Denver
- Divorce
- DR
- Election
- Family
- Favorite Foto
- Food
- Friends
- Goals
- Housewife-ing
- Iceland
- Infertility
- Life
- Marriage
- Memories
- Mexico
- Money
- Moving
- Munich
- Parenting
- PDX
- Pgh
- Portland
- Pregnancy
- Rambling
- Savannah
- Skitzy McGee
- Spring
- Steelers
- Thankful30
- The Nest
- The South
- Theatre
- Travel
- Weight
- Work
No comments:
Post a Comment