Friday, May 7, 2010

Drop it like it's hot!

And I mean all these extra pounds I'm carrying around, not my sweet ass. (Though I can be accused of having done the latter at a recent bachelorette party.)

So, I've always been chubby. As I got older, I seemed to have gotten chubbier. Well, I can't exactly call myself "chubby" anymore. I'm just plain fat. Don't get me wrong, there's no pity party going on over here. I know exactly how I got here, I LOVE FOOD! AND BOOZE! :-)

I've fluctuated the last few years, losing some weight, gaining more back and so on and so on. Last year I managed to lose about 20 lbs. on my own, but I've but about 10 of that back on in the last 6 months or so. Winter is a rough season! Vacation, food, drinks and not wanting to exercise when it's cold. Yeah, not so good for the waistline. Surprisingly, on paper I'm pretty damn healthy. Of course, losing some more of this weight will possibly help me respond to the fertility drugs better & that's a huge motivator 'cause we don't have the $$$ for IVF right now. Besides, I don't want to be an unhealthy example to my (future) kids.

Despite the fact that I eat more healthily than the majority of the people I know, I still have a difficult time losing weight. The thing is, I know why.

1. Portion Control. It's not healthy if I'm eating 2-3x the amount!
2. Insulin Resistance. I love carbs & my body doesn't love to process them. :-(
3. Binge Eating/Eating my Feelings.

So, I joined Nutrisystem. I've got a few friends who have done it & have had success. The program focuses on portion control & "good" carbs. (I'm taking a break from infertility treatments while doing this in an effort to work on my mental health, thus helping with Reason #3)

I've got 35 days worth of NS food in my kitchen and I started today. My biggest concerns were that the food was gonna suck & I was gonna be starving. So far, that's not true. I picked which foods I wanted & then I add in fruit, veggies, some dairy and some protein. Today's food was pretty tasty, I hope that continues to be the case.

My other big concern involves eating so much processed food & all the superfluous packaging. Um...I'm still a little uncomfortable with that. At least we get a weekly delivery of farm fresh produce from our local CSA (community supported agriculture) to sort of balance out the processing. Plus, we will recycle any of the packaging that we can.

Aside from that, I'm pretty excited. I'm gonna give it a try for these 35 days and see how I feel, where I am, etc. I'm hoping to learn some useful portion control skills & dop a few lbs. in the process - I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Callie said...

Good luck! I would have the same concerns with Nutrisystem that you have, so I'm very interested to hear your take on it!

I'm also really curious about what's in the food... are the ingredients fairly natural? Is there HFCS? Partially hydrogenated oils?

FWIW, I can recycle the plastic containers that Trader Joe's frozen dinners come in, as well as the cardboard, so hopefully you can recycle a lot of the packaging.

Suz said...

Can't wait to hear how its been & how things go with Nutrisystem! Looking forward to catching up on walks this week!!