So the other day, this guy comes through the Dt of my store and I say, " Good morning! How are you?" He replies, "Weeeeeeellllll, I'm jist tryin' ta git woke up". Wow. It was all I had in me not to laugh in his face. Wow, just wow.
It bugs the shit out of me that when you say to someone in the South, "Hi! How're you today?" They respond with, "I'm well. Hope you are." ......... Um, well, you just totally cut off the line of conversation. There's no, "I'm great, thanks for asking.....Need a bit of coffee, but otherwise ok.....excited, just getting reading for vacation"...and so on and so forth. I understand that perhaps you were trying to be polite, but there's not place else to go from here. Um, yeah, thanks.
Months ago I pulled behind a total "southern" pickup truck - you know what I'm talking about - late 70's, gun rack in the back, Confederate flag bumper stickers all over, etc. - I was mildly disturbed (or intrigued?)...then I realized that plastered all over the damn truck were magnetic signs that read, "FREE BIBLES, JUST HONK!" OMG! WTF!!!!!! Seriously!? No, Seriously!?
Yup, seriously. If Frank had been w/ me I would've honked, but on my own I was just plain skeered. However, it was the first time in my life that I wished I had a camera fone. ;-)
My ramblings about life, travel, books, infertility, food, the Steelers, marriage & whatever else comes along the way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Labels
- American
- Amsterdam
- Asheville
- Birthday
- bitterness
- Books
- Booze
- Cali.
- Changes
- Denver
- Divorce
- DR
- Election
- Family
- Favorite Foto
- Food
- Friends
- Goals
- Housewife-ing
- Iceland
- Infertility
- Life
- Marriage
- Memories
- Mexico
- Money
- Moving
- Munich
- Parenting
- PDX
- Pgh
- Portland
- Pregnancy
- Rambling
- Savannah
- Skitzy McGee
- Spring
- Steelers
- Thankful30
- The Nest
- The South
- Theatre
- Travel
- Weight
- Work
1 comment:
Welcome to the South, Alethea! The craziness you describe is "local color."
By the way, love the booklist!
Post a Comment