Friday, October 10, 2008

"Light Reading"

It was recently the ALA official Banned Book Week. Yeah, who knew that books were still banned in schools and towns all over the good ole USA!? Pshaw! Anyhow, these books are usually geared towards adolescents and are now put into a category known as YA - Young Adult. Since I've needed a little light reading as of late, I put a few of the Top 10 Banned Books of 2007 on my library list.

First was The Chocolate War. It was alright, pretty good, kind of sad. I'm still a little unsure as to why it might be banned, but eh? what do I know, right?

Next it was The Golden Compass, recently made a movie, both of which I enjoyed. TGC is actually the first of a trilogy and I can't wait to read the other two! Totally obvs. why this book has been banned - the super right wing religious extremists are having a nut job from the first page, I'm sure. Either way, a great book! Also, the actual golden compass in the book is called an alethiometer - which is derived from the Greek word, Alethea, which means truth, since it's a device that tells you the truth. How cool is that!?

Sure to be banned soon, if not already, is the Twilight series that everyone is all gaga over. I'll want to see the film, so of course I requested the books. I'll pick up the first one tomorrow - we'll see if I too fall into the HP-esque obsession w/ these books.

Next month's book club book is To Kill A Mockingbird, which I just read a few months ago. I enjoyed it so much & it's a much heralded novel, so I plan to give it a quick reread before moving on to the rest of the 16 books I currently have checked out of waiting at the library for me to pick up.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I have a love-hate relationship with Twilight. Something about it sucks me in and I can't walk away from it, but at the same time there are so many things not to like.

Let me know what you think.

krisha said...

Let me know what you think of the Twilight series. A lot of my friends are all googly-eyed about it, too, but for some reason I have yet to give in.